Monday, July 8, 2013

Inferring State (Part IV) / Days 28 & Day 29

Day 28 - Saturday July 6
Today I was working on inferring state again. I was a bit surprised to find that in the JPF listeners directory, there are two, VarTracker and VarRecorder that appear to do much of what I was trying to do before (certainly these do what the goal of the code for Day 26 would be re-purposed for in the future), and they do so much better than I could probably do it. I'm rather quite happy that I found them: they don't solve the entire problem, but I think they're a good start. Of course, they don't work with our test examples yet: debugging & configuring them is the goal here. But I'm hopeful, and I think as long as they do work, I'm going to use them to track state in an internal state and worry about scalability later--I think any method would require something like this anyways, and we can possibly prune what we store later in order to handle larger programs.

Day 29 - Sunday July 7
Today was more debugging/configuring with the two listeners described above. Not a whole lot of luck: VarTracker was easy to change, but it doesn't actually report on the variable values: it only deals with when (with respect to what state) a variable is changed. VarRecorder on the other hand, will say explicitly what the value is, so this is the one I want to get working, but no luck yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment