Wednesday, May 29, 2013

First post / Day 0

I spent today setting up for the challenges ahead: I created this blog, set up the Bitbucket repository, and submitted the necessary documentation to Google. I also spent time building a toy JPF Listener (which just printed to console any time anything really happened to a state; there was a lot of spam in console) just to play around with, and to make sure I still understand how JPF works. I did this first by encoding one and putting it in the jpf-core files, building all of them again, and then calling the listener. This is the not ideal way to do it: it puts the listener in the wrong spot (it should be a separate extension to jpf-core, not a part of it). But this was the way I remembered by memory, so I did it anyways. Then I started looking to clone jpf-template and  make a listener the proper way--which was easy, especially since while I was doing this one of my mentors sent me slides on how to do exactly that. The hardest part was getting ant to work and build the code--but thankfully it was only a matter of an environment variable.

The purpose of this blog is largely to track my own progress: I'm expecting that it will be much harder for me to go off track if I have to report (if only to myself) at the end of every day. That being said, I would like to make it more interesting than a simple statement similar "today I accomplished tasks x, y, and z", so I'll also try to explain each topic. For example, in this post, I might explain what a listener is, or the architecture of JPF at a high level. However, it's the first day, and since I have no concrete plans for tomorrow, I'm going to save that for tomorrow and likely make a "good" post of it.

I am rather excited about being accepted for Google Summer of Code and I'm really looking forward to the coming months when the work and posts become really interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment